Indian nationals planning to visit Bhutan should bring either (1) a Passport having validity of 6 months or (2) a Voters Identity Card, issued by the Election Commission of India.
Indian nationals traveling to Bhutan via road (i.e. via Phuntsholing, Bhutan / Jaigong, India), can present their having their passport or voters Identity Card to the Regional Immigration Office, Royal Government of Bhutan, Phuntsholing to obtain entry permits for visiting Thimphu and Paro in Bhutan.
Once you enter Bhutan, immigration office is the building after Oil petrol pump on your right. Here are the complete list of documents that will be required:
1. Copy of travel document (Passport or Voter ID card)
2. Application written to the Immigration officer requesting a permit (permits are given for one week only)
3. You need to fill a form which is available at the immigration office
4. Two passport size photographs
There is no fee charged by the Royal Government of Bhutan for issuing the permits. However, do note that processing the entry permits can take a few hours of waiting in Phuntsholing. Bhutan Lhayul Tours & Travels process the permit online in advance for a small administrative fee. For more information please contact us at [email protected]
For those wanting to visit Phuntsholing, no entry permit is required by Indian Nationals. The Phuntsholing border gate is open from 6 am to 8 pm.
Please do note that Indian Tourist that want to travel beyond Thimphu and Paro need to acquire a ‘special area permit’ from the Royal Government of Bhutan Immigration Office at Thimphu on any working day (Monday to Friday).
Entry into the Phuentsholing border is open for Indian vehicles, however, in order to go beyond you have to get permits. If you are travelling by your vehicle up from Phuntsholing, you also be required to obtain a permit for your vehicle.
Permit for the Vehicle
You need to get your permit before applying for the vehicle permit at the RSTA – Road Safety and Transport Authority office. The office timings are from 9 am – 11 am and 1 pm – 3 pm. The documents required for the vehicle permit are:
1. A xerox copy each of vehicle’s registration certificate, insurance, driver’s license, pollution certificate
2. An application form available at Window No. 04 needs to be filled along with it
3. Xerox copy of the travelers permit
Some additional tips:
1. Visa/ Permit on arrival is applicable only to the citizens of India, Bangladesh and Maldives
2. These permits are applicable only for Thimphu and Paro.
3. Permits for Haa Valley, regions beyond Thimphu and permit extensions can only be applied for at Thimphu immigration office. The processing takes one day.
Indian national traveling to Bhutan are advised NOT to bring Indian currency notes of the decimation of Rs. 500/- and Rs. 1000/- into Bhutan. However, Indian Currency notes of Rs. 100/- and below are accepted in Bhutan.